Considered by many to be the boating capital of America, Lake of the Ozarks boating certainly offers one of the most extraordinary experiences in Missouri.
Along with all its stunning natural beauty, the lake area is home to countless amenities for families of tourists and just about every watersport you could want. So, whether you love boat racing, water skiing, canoeing, kayaking, paddle-boating, cookouts on a pontoon, scuba diving, zipping around on a Jet Ski, or just swimming — Lake of the Ozarks has it all.
Besides all this, LOTO (or LOZ as many refer to it) is a fisherman’s paradise. And not only does it have excellent fishing during the regular seasons, but there are record-breaking catches made year-round, even in the winter. Boasting unending marinas, bait shops, and lodgings, there are fishing tournaments galore.
Why is boating so much fun?
Even with all these things, there is something even better about Lake of the Ozarks boating to be explored and enjoyed. According to recent studies, when one is in, under, on, or just near the water, the psychological and emotional benefits abound. Water brings peace and relaxation to the soul.
Dr. Wallace J. Nichols, Ph.D., is a marine biologist and author of Blue Mind, the bestselling book detailing the scientific correlation between happiness and water. Dr. Nichols is regarded as one of the world’s leading experts on the health advantages of Water.
In his book, he states, “The effect of boating on our lives, and its fundamental connection to our planet’s waters, are well documented from an economic, ecological and educational perspective.” 
Dr. Nichols adds, “But, the relationship of boating to our health has been largely overlooked. We now know, thanks to science, that the mere sight and sound of water promotes wellness by lowering cortisol, increasing serotonin and inducing relaxation. It only makes sense that being on a boat is one of the best ways to access the wellness benefits of the water.” 
How does boating provide so many wellness benefits?
Boating provides a wide range of wellness benefits that people can enjoy. According to Dr. Nichols, being on a boat is one of the best ways to access these wellness benefits. As we experience the motion of the water and the sound of waves it can promote relaxation and peace.
Boating also allows people to connect with nature in a way that is unique and freeing. People know intuitively that time on the water can help us forget our troubles and enjoy some much-needed peace and tranquility.
Transition from Red Mind to Blue Mind
According to Nichols, people get immersed in the frenetic pace of society and technology which can lead to a state of “red mind.” This state is marked by feelings of sadness and anxiety, as well as an increase in stress levels.
In contrast, spending time near water can help us achieve a state of “blue mind.” This state is marked by feelings of relaxation and joy, as well as a decrease in stress levels. It’s no wonder, then, that so many people consider Lake of the Ozarks boating to be such a rejuvenating way to spend their free time.
Boating and Your Brain
When you’re on a boat, it can help you relax. Boat trips can help you free yourself from your normal routine and let your brain reset.
The ability to experience life outside of your normal set of circumstances can allow you to reconnect to the larger world and possibilities around you.
When boating we tend to experience both psychological and physiological shifts, allowing us to feel more creative and happy.
5 Psychological Benefits of Boating
- Boating offers you a way to unplug. Boating allows people to disconnect from their busy lives and reconnect with nature. In one study, researchers found that “a short boating trip could have as much of a relaxing effect as a day at the spa.”
- Boating gives your brain a reset. You can get some exercise with the added benefits of happiness and restoration. Even the sight of a body of water releases neurochemicals in the brain that advance wellness and promote cognitive benefits.
- Boating unlocks creativity. It helps people become more creative and imaginative since they are able to connect with something outside of their normal routine. For example, some researchers recommend boating after work every week to help reduce stress.
- Boating helps people connect with others. Part of the fun of Lake of the Ozarks boating is the way it helps one engage others since it is a collaborative activity. For example, we see families and friends meet and have a great time together, even if they do not live close by each other.
- Boating is a form of play. It can make people feel like kids again and bring out their playful side. This unleashes endorphins in the brain which help reduce pain and promote positive feelings and attitudes.
3 Physiological Benefits of Boating
- Boating has a positive impact on your heart and cardiovascular system since you are constantly working to keep yourself balanced.
- Boating brings an increase in your metabolism as well as your energy level.
- Boating can also help reduce high blood pressure and increase oxygen flow throughout your body, promoting good circulation.
Make a Plan Today to Go Boating
Lake of the Ozarks boating is a great way to get away from your busy life and enjoy some much-needed peace, tranquility, creativity, connection with nature, or play. So, come rent a boat and enjoy the many psychological benefits that can help you feel less stressed while increasing your level of happiness.
It is about slowing down and experiencing the awe of one of Missouri’s beautiful lakes or steams, so you can enjoy a much-needed mental reset and feel better!
Do you own a boat or are looking to buy a boat at Lake of the Ozarks? You’re going to need a place to dock your boat. Remember to check out LOTO Lift’s industry-leading boat lifts — you’ll be glad you did!
1. Blue Mind: The Surprising Science That Shows How Being near, in, on, or under Water Can Make You Happier, Healthier, More Connected, and Better at What You Do — by Wallace J. Nichols
Like this? Please share!
Read more from our blog...
Boat hoists and pneumatic boat lifts are two different types of devices used to raise boats from the water. Most hoist systems use winches with
When you’re ready to ride your Jet Ski, you’re eager to go! We would all prefer to be having fun on our favorite PWC (personal watercraft)